Lupus Awareness Month Toolkit
We can make lupus visible during Lupus Awareness Month by educating friends, family and others about lupus and it's affects. We've put together a few bits of information to get you started.
Lupus Awareness Month is a name to be taken literally: it's the month of May where we all put in extra effort into letting the world know about lupus. We educate our communities and take to social media and let people know what lupus is, how it affects us and what we all can do about it.
Below, you'll find sample posts, quick bits of information and catchy images to get help you spread the word. Let everybody know about lupus!
My Purple Pledge Form
Living with an invisible illness like lupus can be isolating, and sometimes lead to judgment from others who don’t exactly understand the daily struggles. Most symptoms of lupus aren’t always readily visible, but on the inside, it can wreak havoc on your body, organs, and even cause emotional and mental strain.
Just because people can't see the pain, doesn't mean it's not there and potentially life-threatening.
Help bring visibility to lupus, even when it can’t be seen! Thank you for taking the pledge to continue raising awareness and help us make lupus visible year-round.
Facebook Profile Picture Frame
Sign into your Facebook account and then visit Profile Picture Frames. Don’t forget to click “Use as Profile Picture” to save your changes!
Sample Social Media Posts
Telling your own story is one of the best ways to let your friends know about your connection to lupus. If you're looking for inspiration, start with one of these:
- May is Lupus Awareness Month! Join us and Make Lupus Visible by raising awareness and visiting lupus.org/LupusAwarenessMonth. Learn more about this chronic autoimmune disease and how you can help make lupus visible.
- Help put an end to this cruel disease and advance lupus research by making a donation during Lupus Awareness Month. lupus.org/LupusAwarenessMonth
- #DYK that lupus is known as an invisible illness because someone with lupus can appear perfectly healthy despite battling many internal issues, such as debilitating pain, extreme fatigue, blood disorders and more? Learn more about this cruel and mysterious disease and help Make Lupus Visible with tools and resources to educate yourself, friends, and family during Lupus Awareness Month. lupus.org/lupusawarenessmonth
- People with lupus can experience significant symptoms, such as pain, extreme fatigue, hair loss, cognitive issues, and physical impairments that affect every facet of their lives. Learn more about lupus and how you can Make Lupus Visible during May's Lupus Awareness Month at lupus.org/lupusawarenessmonth
- Help Make Lupus Visible and get involved this Lupus Awareness Month! You can turn just about anything into a fundraising opportunity through Make Your Mark — our DIY fundraising program. Raise money your way to support those impacted by lupus. lupus.org/MakeYourMark
- I took the My Purple Pledge during Lupus Awareness Month to raise awareness of lupus. Do your part to support the millions of lupus warriors around the world by getting involved to bring an end to this cruel disease. Get started by visiting, lupus.org/LupusAwarenessMonth.
- #DYK it takes 6 years to receive an accurate #lupus diagnosis? Learn more about signs and symptoms this #LupusAwarenessMonth. https://www.lupus.org/resources/common-symptoms-of-lupus #LAM
- Together we can create a future without lupus. Learn more & Make #Lupus Visible during #LupusAwarenessMonth lupus.org/LupusAwarenessMonth #LAM
- Turn any event into a fundraiser for lupus, and use your passion to raise funds through our Make Your Mark program & support #lupuswarriors during #LupusAwarenessMonth. #LAM lupus.org/makeyourmark
- Support efforts to advance #lupus research by donating to @lupusorg during #LupusAwarenessMonth. We can’t put an end to this cruel disease without your help! lupus.org/LupusAwarenessMonth #LAM
- #Lupus can affect your skin, joints & organs. Though these symptoms cause debilitating pain & can even be life-threatening, they’re not often visible from the outside, causing others to not understand. Learn more & get involved this #LupusAwarenessMonth. lupus.org/LupusAwarenessMonth @lupusorg
- Systemic #lupus accounts for approximately 70% of all cases of lupus. In approximately half of these cases, a major organ or tissue in the body, such as the heart, lungs, kidneys, or brain will be affected. Learn more during #LupusAwarenessMonth. lupus.org/lupusawarenessmonth @lupusorg
- I took #MyPurplePledge to raise awareness of lupus this May. Do your part this #LupusAwarenessMonth by getting involved to better the lives of those impacted by lupus. Join us! Visit lupus.org/LupusAwarenessMonth #LAM
- Infographic: Signs and Symptoms of Lupus
- Infographic: The Impact of Lupus in America
- Infographic: The Burden of Lupus
- Lupus Fact Sheet
- Week 1: Lupus and the kidneys
- Week 2: Lupus and mental health
- Week 3: Racial and health disparities
- Week 4: Financial impact of lupus
- Let's Make Lupus Visible image card
- May is Lupus Awareness Month image card
- I'm Raising Awareness. Will YouJoin Me? image card
- I Took The Purple Pledge image card
Instructions: click on the link for the image you want above, and then save that image. Write a post on the social media platform of your choice, and include that image.
Share Your Story
Calling all lupus warriors, parents and caregivers! Nobody knows lupus than you. Raise awareness by recording a short video or post a selfie telling people how lupus has changed your life and provide hope and inspiration to others, and urge them to join you in Making Lupus Visible this May.
You can also add your story to Voices of Lupus, which is a living collection of stories of those impacted by lupus.
Sample Social Media Posts
Before World Lupus Day, you can share this:
- May 10 is #WorldLupusDay. Please mark your calendar and get ready to #MakeLupusVisible on social media as we come together on this special day to raise global awareness of #lupus. Learn more at WorldLupusDay.org
Sharing to your social channels on World Lupus Day? Try one of these:
- Today is #WorldLupusDay, and I am 1 of the 5 MILLION people living with #lupus, a disease that can affect any organ in the body including the heart, kidneys, lungs, skin and more. It occurs in people of all ages, races, ethnicities and genders. Please reshare. #MakeLupusVisible [Include SELFIE photo or video]
- Today is #WorldLupusDay, and I/we support the 5 MILLION people living with #lupus, a disease that can affect any organ in the body including the heart, kidneys, lungs, skin and more. It occurs in people of all ages, races, ethnicities and genders. Please reshare. #MakeLupusVisible [Include SELFIE photo or video] or [Insert Campaign #MakeLupusVisible Image available in multiple languages]
Sample Social Media Posts
- On May 21st, Put on Purple to show your support for the millions of people affected by lupus. It’s an easy way to raise lupus awareness. Learn more and spread the word during Lupus Awareness Month by visiting Lupus.org/PutOnPurple
- Wear your purple proudly on Friday, May 21st for Put on Purple Day to raise lupus awareness! Go Purple to End Lupus and encourage your family and friends to do the same. Learn more by visiting Lupus.org/PutOnPurple
- Show your support for those affected by lupus by proudly sporting your purple for Put on Purple Day on May 21st and donate to advance lupus research efforts and educational programs. Lupus.org/PutOnPurple
- This Lupus Awareness Month, let’s make lupus visible! On May 21, let’s Go Purple to End Lupus! Join me on 5/21 and share this post to encourage others to participate during Put on Purple Day so we can raise awareness for the millions impacted by this devastating disease. Lupus.org/PutOnPurple
- Tomorrow is #PutOnPurple day for #LupusAwarenessMonth! Go Purple to End Lupus, and learn more about Put on Purple day here: lupus.org/pop #POP #LAM
- For #LupusAwarenessMonth participate in #PutOnPurple day on May 21! You can Go Purple to End Lupus to show your support for those affected by #lupus. Help raise awareness and end the cruel mystery. Lupus.org/pop
- Join me and thousands nationwide for #PutOnPurple Day on May 21st to raise awareness for #lupus & rally support for those suffering from its impact #POP Lupus.org/pop
- #PutOnPurple on May 21st to support those affected by #lupus. Go Purple to End Lupus and Spread the word! #POP #LupusAwarenessMonth Lupus.org/pop
- Show your support for those affected by lupus and #PutonPurple on May 21st and donate to advance lupus research efforts. #POP Lupus.org/pop
- Let’s make lupus visible during #LupusAwarenessMonth. Join me and show your support for the millions impacted by lupus by wearing purple on May 21! Together, we can Go Purple to End lupus! Lupus.org/pop #PutOnPurple #POP #LAM
Sample Social Media Posts
- We're proud to team up with @LupusFoundationofAmerica to make lupus visible during Lupus Awareness Month this May. Join with us and support the 1.5 million Americans living with lupus by/when you [insert promo]
- Lupus is a chronic, autoimmune disease that causes inflammation anywhere in your body and can affect any of your organs, the skin and joints. There are an estimated 1.5 million Americans living with this cruel disease. Share this post to help us and the @LupusFoundationofAmerica Make Lupus Visible during Lupus Awareness Month. Visit lupus.org/lupusawarenessmonth
- #DYK there is an estimated 1.5 million people living with #lupus, a chronic autoimmune disease that can affect your skin, organs and joints? During this #LupusAwarenessMonth, we're working with @lupusorg to raise more awareness of lupus. Join us and RT this tweet.
- This month, we're [insert offer/ promo] in support of all of those living with #lupus. Head over to @lupusorg's lupus.org/resources to learn more about lupus.
For the month of May, we're raising awareness about lupus. Take a look at all the things you can do to help.See More