Research, Advocacy Support – A Look Back at 2018
By: Stevan W. Gibson, President and CEO, Lupus Foundation of America
It’s been quite a year – we pushed boundaries in accelerating lupus research and we worked hard to improve life for the millions living with lupus.
We wouldn’t have been able to reach these accomplishments if it weren’t for you – whether you’re a lupus warrior, caregiver, friend, family member, donor or partner. In 2018, you may have participated in a Walk to End Lupus Now® event, hosted an event to fundraise for research, raised awareness during lupus awareness month or made your voice heard with your representatives. Whatever role you played, you helped make these accomplishments possible:
- Support for an innovative major phase II clinical trial to evaluate a potential treatment option for lupus.
- Funding for a research grant to test a new treatment option for lupus in children.
- Continued growth of LupusConnect, an online community where people with lupus and their loved ones can share their experiences and receive support.
- Ensured the voices of people with lupus are heard by the Food and Drug Administration and the pharmaceutical industry resulting in new recommendations and guidelines to speed up and improve clinical trials.
- Lead a year-round advocacy campaign that increased government funding for lupus research and education programs to more than $115 million.
The above are just five of many accomplishments you helped make possible this year, you can read about these and more in our Annual Report. We are grateful for your support and look forward to taking more steps together to end lupus in the year ahead.