Department of Defense Releases Pre-Announcement of FY 2019 Lupus Research Funding Opportunities
News release via the Department of Defense - Congressionally Directed Medical Research Program
The FY19 Defense Appropriation provides $5 million (M) to the Department of Defense Lupus Research Program (LRP) to support that support the full spectrum of research projects or ideas that specifically focus on scientific and clinical lupus issues, which, if successfully addressed, have the potential to make a major impact in lupus research. As directed by the Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Health Affairs, the Defense Health Agency, J9 Research and Development Directorate manages the Defense Health Program (DHP) Research, Development, Test, and Evaluation (RDT&E) appropriation. The managing agent for the anticipated Program Announcements/Funding Opportunities is the Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs (CDMRP) at the U.S. Army Medical Research and Materiel Command (USAMRMC).
The LRP is providing the information in this pre-announcement to allow investigators time to plan and develop applications. FY19 LRP Program Announcements and General Application Instructions for the following award mechanisms are anticipated to be posted on the Grants.gov website in April 2019. Pre-application and application deadlines will be available when the Program Announcements are released. This pre-announcement should not be construed as an obligation by the government.
Applications submitted to the FY19 LRP must address at least one of the five Focus Areas listed below:
- Understand lupus disease heterogeneity in risk of disease, presentation, clinical course, and outcomes including, but not limited to, biopsychosocial studies, personalized medicine, variation in treatment and its effects on patient outcomes, health economics, socioeconomic studies, environmental studies, and epidemiological.
- Understand lupus disease heterogeneity including, but not limited to, progressive stages of lupus over time, strategies and technologies to subtype patients, and understanding lupus disease mechanisms.
- Improve quality of life of patients with lupus.
- Understand how the underlying genetic components and gene environment interactions of lupus disease relate to clinical disease characteristics using functional genomic studies.
- Determine the pathobiology of lupus in target human tissues including, but not limited to, imaging studies, genomics of lupus disease in particular tissues, and metabolomics and how understanding the underlying pathobiology will improve quality of life of patients.
A pre-application is required and must be submitted through the electronic Biomedical Research Application Portal (eBRAP) prior to the pre-application deadline. All applications must conform to the final Program Announcements and General Application Instructions that will be available for electronic downloading from the Grants.gov website. The application package containing the required forms for each award mechanism will also be found on Grants.gov. A listing of all CDMRP and other USAMRMC extramural funding opportunities can be obtained on the Grants.gov website by performing a basic search using CFDA Number 12.420.
Submission deadlines are not available until the Program Announcements are released. For email notification when Program Announcements are released, subscribe to program-specific news and updates under “Email Subscriptions” on the eBRAP homepage. For more information about the LRP or other CDMRP-administered programs, please visit the CDMRP website.