Marlene Stepanek Lupus Legacy Scholarship
Marlene's education journey, while living with lupus
Marlene was diagnosed with lupus in 1970 and died from her disease in 1977. She worked tirelessly as a keypunch operator and verifier, putting me through school, as I received my MBA in 1975. She hardly complained, doing her part. We bought our first home in early 1977. Marlene signed our papers in her hospital room. She never had a night in her first home. She fought courageously, but the kidney biopsy led to pneumonia for which she seemingly fought off in a great battle, but eventually died there, spending her last 89 days in the hospital. She valued education; she worked hard for education. She had college credits also, along her way. In her honor, in her legacy, please find your education dream.
Application deadline: April 1, 2022
Eligibility Criteria: To be eligible for the Marlene Stepanek Lupus Legacy Scholarship, applicants must be high school seniors (male or female) who have been accepted into an accredited community college, university, or career school. Additionally, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Complete Application Biography Form
- Have at least a 3.0 GPA;
- Provide a high school transcript;
- Provide two (2) letters of references, one from at least one teacher and the other from a clergy member, mentor, principal, or employer;
- Provide a letter of acceptance from an institution of higher learning (community college, university, or career school); and
- Provide a 250-word essay explaining how lupus has impacted your life and how the Marlene Stepanek Lupus Legacy Scholarship will help you reach your goals. The format of the essay must be Times New Roman font, size 12 font, and single spaced.
Submissions should be emailed to La Toija Snodgrass.