What is SELF?
SELF is a free online self-management program designed to help people with lupus live their best life. SELF can be your virtual coach to help you:
- manage lupus symptoms
- manage stress
- manage medications
- work with your health care team.
It’s convenient and customized to your needs--offering easy to use tools, trackers, information, support and reminders. There is no other online tool like it.
How does it work?
SELF uses the science of behavior change to help you build and enhance the skills you need to increase your energy and manage your lupus. The program asks you questions about your experiences with lupus. Then, SELF immediately tailors the program to your needs and readiness to build self-management skills.
Customized guidance based on your self-management needs today and over time.
You’ll know how to recognize and reduce symptoms and flares, cope with the stress of lupus and get support.
You decide what self-management skills to work on and when, and what tools to use.
SELF is a one-stop source for self-management tools, information, advice and support.
Learn how to talk about your needs with your health care team, family and friends.
Text messages provide small doses of self-care tips, inspiration, and support.
Who can participate?
If you have lupus -- no matter how long since your diagnosis -- and you are 18 or older you can participate in SELF now.
How do I get started with SELF?
Getting started is simple. Click here to sign in with your Facebook or Google log-in. No Facebook or Google account? No problem! You can sign up with your email address.
What happens in SELF?
- You can view a video about SELF to learn more.
- To tailor a program to meet your needs, SELF will ask you a few questions about yourself and your experiences living with lupus. This may take about 15 minutes. Then, you’ll get immediate advice and a customized plan of activities to build the skill you choose to work on for the next two-weeks. You can also choose to get personalized text messages—at a time that’s convenient for you. Through the program you can connect with your peers in the lupus community, use the Lupus Foundation of America’s National Resource Center on Lupus, and get your questions answered by the Lupus Foundation of America’s health education specialists.
- After two weeks, you can answer a few questions about the skill you are currently working on. The program will re-tailor your activity plan for that skill or you can choose to work on a new skill.
- You can use SELF anytime you’d like and on any device (mobile, desktop or tablet), and you can save SELF on the Home Screen of your mobile device, or bookmark it on your laptop.
- In three months, you’ll be asked to answer the same questions you did when you started SELF. This will allow us to update your self-management plan and continue to provide you with the content that fits your needs.
Is SELF an app?
SELF is a website and not an app.
However, it is designed to be used easily on your mobile device (mobile phone/ tablet) or computer.
If you are using your tablet or mobile phone, you can save SELF to your home screen so it looks and feels just like an app. Read the instructions on how to add SELF to your Home Screen.
All your information will be private and protected. Your name will never be connected with your data or shared with a third party. For more information regarding the Lupus Foundation of America’s policy, as well as privacy information related to SELF, visit lupus.org/privacy-policy.
Who should I contact if I have any questions or problems with the program?
Please feel free to email us with any questions or problems at SELF@lupus.org.
The Partners United for Lupus Sustainable Education and Awareness (PULSE) Project is supported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services under cooperative agreement # NU58DP006907. Funds received are used to support SELF, a program of the PULSE Project.