Ways to Get Involved
We invite you to join the thousands of volunteers across the country committed to making a difference locally and virtually. Join our community and have your voice heard, connect with others and raise the critical funds needed to accelerate research.
Support Group Facilitator
To serve as a Lupus Foundation of America Support Group Facilitator for the Alexandria Virginia Support Group.
- Knowledge and understanding of lupus.
- A demonstrated understanding and respect for personal boundaries and ethics; including confidentiality.
- Strong active listening and communication skills.
- Ability to create a safe environment where participant’s thoughts and feelings are valued.
- Knowledge of adult learning principles and group dynamics.
- Utilize support group facilitation skills including opening and closing the session, engaging the group in discussion topic(s), focusing the group and managing conflict.
- Set an example and be a good role model regarding positive coping skills and self-managing behaviors.
- Model appropriate communication and leadership skills.
- Promote a safe, caring, and non-threatening learning environment.
- Focus discussion and help participants learn from shared experiences and utilize appropriate personal experience to assist in the learning process. Value the group learning process.
- Maintain confidentiality and respect for the individual needs of learning participants.
- Maintain contact with the Lupus Foundation of America Network Development Staff regarding the status of group sessions, new member contact information, areas of concerns, questions, etc., including submission of monthly group attendance.
- Share the mission of the Lupus Foundation of America, including Foundation resources, programs and events.
- Inform the Lupus Foundation of America in advance of any changes in group facilitators, time or location of group meetings.
- Follow expectations and recommendations in the Support Group Facilitator Manual.
- Arrange for speakers / presenters for the group as indicated by group preference.
- Encourage participation and provide assistance and support for to all members.
- Increase Facilitator’s group facilitation skills and peer-group experience.
- Help provide a source of education, resources, and peer-support to people affected by lupus.
Minimum of one year. This is a volunteer position.
If you are interested, please contact Crystal Konohia, Director of Human Relations and Operations.