Living well with lupus

How can I decrease the UV exposure from fluorescent lights?

Ultraviolet rays are also given off by indoor fluorescent lighting commonly found in offices and stores.  Light shields that cover fluorescent bulbs can be ordered from several different manufacturers.  If you are affected by light sensitivity, look for light shields that have nanometer readings of 380 to 400.  This ensures complete filtering of UVB and UVC (especially damaging to exposed skin cells), and almost all UVA.  If you are extremely sensitive to light, you may want to consider wearing a broad-brimmed hat when visiting brightly lit stores or other public places.

Medically reviewed on August 08, 2013