COVID-19 Walk to End Lupus Now Participant FAQ
The situation around the current spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) is changing rapidly, so make sure you stay informed by visiting the CDC and your local health department websites's information page regularly. The health and well-being of people with lupus is our top priority and we want urge everyone to follow best practices to stay safe and healthy during this time. Please visit our Coronavirus and Lupus page for additional information, on what people with lupus need to know about COVID-19.
The Lupus Foundation of America made the decision to postpone all Walk to End Lupus Now events taking place this Spring. Please check out your local walk page for more information on each event. We will continue to closely monitor the situation, and as we make further event scheduling decisions we will be sure to notify you. Please check your city’s local walk page or contact your local LFA walk manager for the most up to date details.
Your health and safety is always our number one priority. If you don’t feel comfortable attending your Walk to End Lupus Now event in the Fall, that’s okay! You can still be a part of the Walk no matter where you are. We encourage you to still register for your local walk, fundraise and share with others why you are walking to help end lupus. You can choose to walk in a place you feel comfortable on your event day -- whether that’s around your home, yard or neighborhood. We will also be announcing a virtual walk celebration for this Fall -- stay tuned for details!
We understand that the situations around COVID-19 are constantly evolving across the country, and we are closely monitoring the situation and guidance around the country. If your event gets cancelled, we encourage you to continue to fundraise through your local walk and join us for our national virtual walk event in the fall. We encourage you to continue to share with others why you are on a mission to help end lupus. On the virtual walk day you can choose to safely walk at home or in your neighborhood -- and we encourage you to post pictures to share why you walk! Stay tuned for more details on our virtual walk celebration for this Fall!
Yes! You don’t need to slow down your fundraising efforts. While attending the Walk is the best way to celebrate and bring communities together to end lupus, we understand you may not feel comfortable attending. You can still fundraise to help fund our important work—and the great news is online fundraising is the quickest, easiest way to fundraise without ever leaving home! Check out these tips to maximize your online fundraising:
- Make sure you have activated your Facebook fundraiser through your participant center. Just login to your fundraising center and click the “Start a Facebook fundraiser” link. Make sure you invite your Facebook friends to your fundraiser and reshare often!
- Customize your participant center so everyone knows why you are walking to support the Lupus Foundation of America. People want to hear from you, and sharing your story is a big driver in achieving fundraising success, so make sure to share the link to your participant center through social media and email.
- Get creative! We are sensitive to the many challenges that people are experiencing right now, and know you may need to change your fundraising plans. But now is a great time to be creative with how you’ll hit your goal. Here are some upcoming events that might help you inspire others to give:
- National Walking Day- April 1
- National Volunteer Day - April 2
- Kick off of Lupus Awareness Month- May 1
- World Lupus Day-May 10th
- Put on Purple Day- May 15
Yes! All donations and fundraisers that qualify for incentives will still be fulfilled.
All donations are important to helping us fulfill our mission of ending lupus. At this time, we are not planning to return any donations that have already been made. However, anyone that has questions about their donations should contact their local Walk manager or chapter representative.
This depends on the company. We encourage you to still submit any matching donations to your employer and check with your human resources department. You can also reach out to your local staff contact if you have additional questions.
Yes, for any Walk that has been postponed, you will receive your walk t-shirt that you’ve earned at the rescheduled event.
Still have questions or concerns? Reach out to your local walk manager or local Lupus Foundation of America staff member today.