COVID-19 Walk to End Lupus Now Participant FAQ
The situation around the current spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) is changing rapidly, so make sure you stay informed by visiting the CDC and your local health department websites's information page regularly. The health and well-being of people with lupus is our top priority and we want urge everyone to follow best practices to stay safe and healthy during this time. Please visit our Coronavirus and Lupus page for additional information, on what people with lupus need to know about COVID-19.
In light of the coronavirus pandemicCOVID-19, is my local Walk to End Lupus Now® event still happening?
The Lupus Foundation of America has made the decision to postpone all Walk to End Lupus Now events between now and May 10th This is consistent with CDC guidance, which recommends cancelling or postponing events of 50 people or more, and for organizations that serve people who are at higher risk of serious COVID-19 illness from the coronavirus to cancel events for 10 people or more. We will continue to closely monitor the situation, and as we make further event scheduling decisions we will be sure to notify you.
Should I continue fundraising?
Yes! You don’t need to slow down your fundraising efforts. While attending the Walk is the best way to celebrate and bring communities together to end lupus, we understand you may not feel comfortable attending. You can still fundraise to help fund our important work—and the great news is online fundraising is the quickest, easiest way to fundraise without ever leaving home! Check out these tips to maximize your online fundraising:
- Make sure you have activated your Facebook fundraiser through your participant center. Just login to your fundraising center and click the “Start a Facebook fundraiser” link. Make sure you invite your Facebook friends to your fundraiser and reshare often!
- Customize your participant center so everyone knows why you are walking to support the Lupus Foundation of America. People want to hear from you, and sharing your story is a big driver in achieving fundraising success, so make sure to share the link to your participant center through social media and email.
- Go Virtual A virtual walk is a walk that can take place ANYWHERE at ANYTIME. This can even be on your treadmill or in a local park. In aneffort to bring together walks around the country, we have set Sunday May 3, 2020 as Virtual Walk day. Have another date in mind? No problem! You can register here.
- Get creative! We are sensitive to the many challenges that people are experiencing right now, and know you may need to change your fundraising plans. But now is a great time to be creative with how you’ll hit your goal. Here are some upcoming events that might help you inspire others to give:
- National Walking Day- April 1
- National Volunteer Day - April 2
- Kick off of Lupus Awareness Month- May 1
- World Lupus Day-May 10th
- Put on Purple Day- May 15
Can I still earn recognition and incentive items if I don’t attend a Walk event?
Yes! All donations and fundraisers that qualify for incentives will still be fulfilled.
Will you return my donor’s donations?
All donations are important to helping us fulfill our mission of ending lupus. At this time, we are not planning to return any donations that have already been made. However, anyone that has questions about their donations should contact their local Walk manager or chapter representative.
Will company matches still come in or will they cancel them?
This depends on the company. We encourage you to still submit any matching donations to your employer and check with your human resources department. You can also reach out to your local staff contact if you have additional questions.
Will I still get my t-shirt?
Yes, for any Walk that has been postponed, you will receive your walk t-shirt that you’ve earned at the rescheduled event.
Still have questions or concerns? Reach out to your local walk manager or local Lupus Foundation of America staff member today.