About Dr. Mary Betty Stevens
Mary Betty Stevens, MD, FACP, FACR, graduated from Vassar College in 1948 and went on to receive her degree in medicine from Johns Hopkins University, where she remained for the duration of her illustrious career. While at Johns Hopkins, Dr. Stevens was appointed Chair of the Division of Rheumatology and thus became the first woman to occupy a Division Chair in the Department of Medicine at Johns Hopkins. She was also Director of Rheumatology at Good Samaritan Hospital. Dr. Stevens developed the Hopkins-Good Samaritan Rheumatic Disease Unit, which became renowned for clinical research on lupus and vasculitis.
Dr. Stevens was unfailingly enthusiastic about teaching, patient care, and research. She was widely admired as a devoted physician, a masterful clinician, and an inspirational teacher who encouraged those around her to question the science, push the boundaries, and excel. It is because of this passion that Dr. Stevens attracted hundreds of medical students, residents, and fellows to study at her side.
In 1991, three years before her death, she received the Distinguished Rheumatologist Award from the American College of Rheumatology. The recipient of many other awards and honors, Dr. Stevens particularly cherished the George J. Stuart Award she was given in 1971 for excellence in clinical teaching.