The 2nd annual PJ Day for the Lupus Foundation of America will take place on May 2, 2018. PJ Day is a way to honor and support people with lupus while also raising funds.
Iris Zink, Immediate Past-President of the Rheumatology Nurses Society (RNS), has worked with lupus patients for 17 years and wanted to do something special for them in honor of Lupus Awareness Month. She decided to host a PJ Day fundraiser at her clinic where all staff donates $20 in order to wear their PJs to work. When other members at the RNS Society heard about what her clinic was doing they wanted to join in and create a friendly competition between clinics with all funds going toward lupus research.
PJ Day was inspired by one of Iris’ patients, Rebecca Lehotzky. She began seeing Iris 14 years ago and has been a patient ever since. Iris found that as with many patients, Rebecca would struggle to fully explain how she was feeling and the extent of her exhaustion. Rebecca began referencing how many PJ days she was having per week to help Iris understand how she was feeling and use that as a way to determine the best treatment. That method caught on and Iris began asking her other patients about their PJ days as well.
PJ Day for Lupus Foundation of America has since become a nationwide campaign. We invite nurses, teachers, patients, friends, and family members to put on their PJs, raise money for lupus research, increase awareness of lupus, and rally public support for those who suffer from its brutal impact.
What are we asking you to do?:
- Sign up to join us for PJ Day on May 2, 2018. Form a team, join a team or sign up as an individual. Sign up through the Make Your Mark site: www.lupus.org/PJDAY
- Fundraise in your PJs- We encourage everyone who wants to join you by putting on their PJs to donate $10-$20 to participate. If they can’t wear PJS, we have PJ Day shirts for sale for $15. They should contact Stacey at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
- Hold additional fundraisers like bake sales, pot lucks, etc.
REGISTER TO JOIN PJ DAY AND YOU WILL RECEIVE:
- A personal fundraising page (team fundraising page for all teams)
- The option to invite your friends and family to fundraise with you
- The Make Your Mark PJ Day Planning + Fundraising Guide
- Access to Make Your Mark materials and fundraising tips
- Guidance and consulting from the Lupus Foundation of America staff