From the Archives: Fall 2005 Issue of Lupus Now Magazine
Fall into Fun
by Dana Turner
The cool, crisp air of autumn has arrived and with it comes an array of activities for the family to enjoy! So, gather your brood and try some fun happenings that will surely give everyone a jump start to the holiday spirit:
- Plan a trip to an apple orchard to pick your very own fruit or to a cider mill to see how apple cider is made. Better still, carry home your basket and make homemade applesauce or baked apples.
- Get spooked! With Halloween approaching, a trip through a haunted house is bound to make the kids squeal and parents giggle.
- And don't think that Halloween costumes are only for the kids. For a fun change, slip on a mask, wig, or silly hat and greet the neighborhood trick-or-treaters at the door.
- Take a long nature walk through the park or drive to the closest scenic overlook to view nature's handiwork-the amazing colors of fall foliage.
- Visit a pumpkin patch or local harvest festival to find hayrides and classic fall treats like caramel and candy apples. Pick your own pumpkin to carve a jack-o-lantern. Also, try roasting the pumpkin seeds for a healthy snack.
- If you and yours are fans of the fine arts, October through December is a great time to see a lineup of visiting dance, theater, and musical concerts.
- Collect leaves such as red maple, sugar maple, and red oak to create a leaf rubbing, or make a fall foliage scrapbook to preserve family memories.
- Grab a seat in the stands at your favorite fall sporting event. Baseball season is winding down and football is gearing up! If your town doesn't have a professional team, become a big fan of your local high school squad.