Things YOU can do to RAISE AWARENESS
Things You Can Do to Raise Awareness
Help Us Solve the Cruel Mystery™. This Lupus Awareness Month, join the Lupus Foundation of America in efforts to raise the understanding of lupus and secure support for expanded medical research.
Lupus is more pervasive and more severe than people think, and has an impact that the public doesn’t realize. In fact, research shows that nearly two-thirds of the public knows little or nothing about lupus. You can help change that.
We have many activities taking place nationwide throughout the month of May to raise awareness of lupus, and encourage others to do the same. Important dates include:
May 10: World Lupus Day
May 17: Put On Purple Day
May 18-19: Lupus Awareness Faith-Based Weekend
A number of tools have been developed ready for your use to support you in your own awareness efforts. See the full toolkit at www.lupus.org/awarenesskit.
- Read and share daily Lupus Facts
- Participate in Put On Purple Day on Friday, May 17 -- encourage friends to wear purple proudly on this day and tell people why.
- Sign the petition to Congress asking for their support in funding lupus research.
- Post lupus awareness fliers in your community or around your office.
- Get creative! Post photos and share what you’re doing for Lupus Awareness Month on our Facebook page or via Twitter.
- Post a web banner on your website or blog linking to www.lupus.org or Lupus Awareness Month website (lupus.org/awareness).
- Distribute purple wristbands to friends (available for sale at www.shoplupus.org).
- Tell your lupus story and share why lupus is a cruel mystery to you on Lupus Voices Across America.
- Tell your Facebook friends and followers it’s Lupus Awareness Month by changing your profile picture, adding a Twibbon, or changing your Facebook Timeline Cover, and then tell them why.
- Update your status with these sample messages:
- May is Lupus Awareness Month. I’m joining @Lupus Foundation of America to help solve the cruel mystery of lupus, an unpredictable and misunderstood autoimmune disease that ravages different parts of the body. Learn more at www.lupus.org/awareness
- Lupus is difficult to diagnose, hard to live with & a challenge to treat - a #CruelMystery. Join @lupusorg this month www.lupus.org/awareness
- On Twitter, be sure to mention @lupusorg and use these following hashtags in your tweets:
Plan an Event
- Plan an awareness event or effort in your community and tell us about it! Select entries will receive a free t-shirt and will be featured on our website. Click here for more information on becoming a Lupus Awareness Champion.
- Ask your place of worship to share information about lupus during Lupus Awareness Faith-Based Weekend (May 18-19).
- Organize a fundraiser for Lupus Foundation of America or your local chapter. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
- Sign up today to join Walk to End Lupus Now™, America’s largest lupus walk, in your community.
- Register for the National Lupus Advocacy Summit, held June 24-25 in Washington, DC, to help inform Members of Congress about lupus.
- Sign up for email updates
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter
Click here to download your Lupus Awareness Month tools.
Your organization can also be a Lupus Awareness Month Supporter. For more information, email email@example.com.