Our Chapter Volunteers Serving Patients
We are honored to have many dedicated volunteers, mostly lupus patients, who lead and mange our 23 statewide support groups to serve and support patients. These groups provide encouragement and coping skills, information on local resources and an opportunity to meet others living with lupus. Our support group volunteers help in other ways:
- The planning and execution our Living with Lupus education series in Atlanta and Macon. Many attendees at support group meetings and at our education series meet other lupus patients for the first time, a lifeline when living with such an isolating disease as lupus.
- Raising awareness of the signs and symptoms of lupus and reaching patients by representing the chapter at many community health fairs and events.
- Reaching local medical providers serving patients by distributing chapter educational materials.
- Participating in our Walk and other event planning committees to help ensure the successful planning and execution of our fundraising programs. Many of our Top Walkers are support leaders and volunteers.
New Hispanic Support Group ant the Latin American Association founded by Dr. Cristina Drenkard
Chapter Thanks Kendra Hatfield-Timajchy and Carolyn Pearson
Kendra Hatfield-Timajchy & Carolyn Pearson
Nikkii Hatcher - The Power of One!
Nikki and her volunteers have:
- Promoted the group, the chapter and our mission at many community events.
- Built and manned a lupus information booth at the Macon Mall, once a month.
- Planned and executed a four-day, Christmas Charity Gift Wrap at the Macon Mall raising $2300! Nikkii is already planning to once again raise funds and awareness with this event at Christmas 2008.
- Planned and executed the first Living with Lupus educational series outside Atlanta on February 2nd in Macon with over 70 attendees and extensive local media coverage.
Nikkii will host our 2nd Living with Lupus in Macon on Saturday, October 11the with local medical experts providing valuable resources to patients and families. A Social Security Disability Seminar on November 8th, a collaborative program for many other city agencies with our chapter board member and Social Security Disability expert, Winnie Pannell, presenting on the important issues for all those living with disability and chronic diseases.
New Cartersville Support Group
Myrna Evans - Helping Patients For Over 30 Years!
Special Thanks and Farewell to Shelby Lacey in Athens
Shelby has retired after many years as Athens Support Group Leader and we thank her for her service to patients.
Christmas For Lupus Patients
Southside Support Group Leader, Thomas Walters, brought smiles to many last year when he raised funds for a Christmas celebration with presents for 45 lupus patients and families. Thank you, Thomas!
To return to our Chapter Support page, click here.