LFA-REAL System to Improve Health and Quality of Life
LFA-REAL™ (Rapid Evaluation of Activity in Lupus) is a new, first-of-its-kind tool to monitor lupus disease activity, addressing both the needs and concerns of providers and people with lupus. Once approved for clinical use, the LFA-REAL will enable providers to make evidence based and targeted treatment decisions, allowing for a global as well as organ specific disease assessment. LFA-REAL addresses the pitfalls of existing instruments and incorporates patients into the picture. The information helps the doctor understand how a person with lupus is responding to a specific treatment and whether changes are needed.
LFA-REAL has the potential to improve clinical outcomes for people with lupus, help them secure access to quality care through insurance coverage of specific treatments, and bring down a major barrier in lupus research.
The Lupus Foundation of America developed LFA-REAL in collaboration with top lupus experts, including doctors, researchers, drug development companies, Agencies of the Federal government, people with lupus and health insurers. It will provide doctors a cost effective and efficient method to evaluate disease activity in their patients with lupus and deliver the very best care using a combination of targeted therapies.
LFA-REAL Addresses Rapid Changes in Delivery of Healthcare
Currently, there are no adequate measures or tools that can help a doctor and patient together evaluate lupus and make informed treatment decisions, and although there are a number of complicated disease activity measures for use in clinical trials, there are no valid or easily reproducible measures that can be efficiently performed in a busy clinic by most clinicians. The disease tools that are currently available are complex, oversensitive and do not meet the needs for clinical trials of potential new treatments.
Without new effective tools to measure disease activity, doctors must make critical treatment decisions using outdated tools that were never intended or rated for this purpose. This has serious implications for effective care of people with lupus, and the changing face of healthcare delivery makes the situation even more difficult and a greater burden to people with lupus. Measurement systems like LFA-REAL -- crucial for patient outcomes -- are common among other diseases, but do not exist for lupus.
LFA-REAL Has Many Benefits
Doctors, people with lupus and others in the lupus community are all involved in the effort to create this system. LFA-Real will ...
- provide critical information that will support new treatments being covered and people with lupus can have a better quality of life.
- reduce unnecessary treatments and administrative costs. During the first year of use alone, we estimate a total cost savings of millions of dollars.
- show treatment effectiveness and measure improvement in clinical studies which will ultimately speed development, evaluation and approval of new, effective and more tolerable therapies for use in treating lupus.
- provide important data that is needed to secure regulatory approval of new, safe, and more tolerable therapies for lupus that can greatly improve with quality of life for people with lupus.
- provide cost effective and efficient method to evaluate disease activity in their patients with lupus for use in the clinical practice so they can provide the very best care using the most targeted combination of therapies available to them.
When will LFA-REAL become available?
The development of LFA-REAL is a $3 million dollar (plus) program which will take approximately three years to complete.
Last updated March 17, 2014