GlaxoSmithKline has launched a new national lupus awareness campaign and website to encourage an honest discussion between physicians and lupus patients.
Lupus Foundation of America Urges the Public to Band Together for Lupus Awareness This May
Education Programs, Awareness Events, and Walks Held Nationwide During May
New research has shown that most Americans, 59 percent, know little or nothing about lupus and its devastating impact. This May for Lupus Awareness Month, the Lupus Foundation of America (LFA) is urging individuals nationwide to Band Together for Lupus Awareness® to improve understanding of lupus, an unpredictable and sometimes fatal disease that affects an estimated 1.5 million Americans.
“A lack of awareness of the disease contributes to many people dismissing early warning signs of lupus, which can cause serious health risks,” said Sandra C. Raymond, President and CEO, Lupus Foundation of America. “We are asking everyone to get involved and band together, so together we can increase awareness and change lives.”
“When I tell people I have had two hip replacements before the age of 40 they are surprised,” said Lisa Williams from Riverdale, GA. “They don’t understand how serious lupus is because people with lupus often don’t look sick. Awareness is important so our friends and family understand what we’re going through and how they can support us. “
This year, the LFA is asking the public to Put On Purple for lupus awareness by wearing purple and lighting fountains and buildings purple, and telling people why they are showing their support for all people affected by this disease. Put On Purple Day will take place on Friday, May 18, 2012, and is one of many programs taking place during May.
The LFA’s Lupus Awareness Month activities, which include social media, online, and grassroots components, will also empower individuals, organizations, and companies by providing a number of tools and resources so they can educate their communities about lupus. Tools range from fliers, to Web and banner ads, and daily facts about lupus.
There are many ways the public can Band Together for Lupus Awareness such as:
- Listen to and share new podcasts with lupus experts.
- Share their lupus story on Lupus Voices Across America at www.lupusvoices.org.
- Include an article about lupus in their company newsletter or on their Web site.
- Post fliers in their community or around their office.
- Post a Web banner on their personal or company Web site linking to the LFA/Lupus Awareness Month activities.
- Distribute purple wristbands to friends (available for sale at www.shoplupus.org).
- Participate in Put On Purple Day on Friday, May 18 -- encourage friends to wear purple proudly on this day and tell people why.
- Share lupus facts with their networks throughout the month of May via their social media pages.
The Lupus Foundation of America and lupus organizations around the globe are rallying together on World Lupus Day to urge action and raise awareness of lupus