Put on Purple Day
- Ask your friends, family, coworkers and employer to Put on Purple on Friday, May 16, 2014 to help raise awareness of lupus and show support for those living with the disease.
- Wear purple proudly and tell people why!
- Everyone is encouraged to wear their purple lupus awareness wristband. If you don’t have one, you can purchase the wristbands at shoplupus.org. Note that the wristbands are sold in packages of 10, so consider purchasing for friends and family as well. Plan ahead to ensure you receive them in time! You can also purchase wristbands directly at our Connecticut Chapter office in Farmington or at any of our upcoming events!
- Consider organizing office-wide or company-wide participation. May 16 is on a Friday.
- Take pictures of your participation and share them with others!
- Send your pictures to the Lupus Foundation of America at PutOnPURPLE@lupus.org or email@example.com.
- Post photos on Twitter and Instagram using the hashtag #PutOnPurple. Also, follow us on Twitter @ctlupus and Instagram @ctlfa!
- Send pictures to your social networks, along with details about how you Put On Purple for lupus awareness to help solve the cruel mystery of the disease.
GET THE WORD OUT
- Tell all of your friends, family, co-workers and neighbors about your participation in Put on Purple Day.
- Send letters/emails/Facebook/Twitter messages to everyone you know announcing your commitment. Invite them to join you by wearing purple on May 16! Share lupus facts from the Put on Purple Day fact sheet to educate your co-workers, friends and family members about the day and the brutal impact of lupus.
- Ask for support in person. A personal appeal is still one of the most efective ways to engage someone to join your efort. If possible, letters and emails should always be followed-up with a phone call.
GET COMPANY SUPPORT
- Ask the highest-ranking person in your company or group to send out an endorsement memo announcing that he/she will Put On Purple on May 16 to raise awareness of lupus and ask others to do the same.
- Talk with your Human Resources or Wellness/Community Relations manager for assistance in recruiting efforts.
- Drop a Put on Purple Day flier on everyone’s desk and hang a copy in the break rooms.
- See if the company will underwrite the cost of t-shirts or purple lupus awareness wristbands for everyone who participates.
DISPLAY POSTERS AND AWARENESS/PLEDGE FORMS
- Display Put on Purple Day fliers in central locations and high-traffic areas at work. Write the coordinator’s name and contact information on the fliers for anyone with questions.
- Display a large poster that tracks the group’s progress toward their participation recruitment goal.
- Display a participation pledge form in accessible areas to encourage everyone to join the effort.
- Include an article about lupus in your company newsletter or email updates and invite people to Put On Purple on May 16. List the names of those who have agreed to participate or the company’s participating departments and include your name and contact information if they have questions.
- Use the Lupus Fact Sheet to share information about lupus with others.
HOST A PARTY/EVENT
- Host a party on Put On Purple Day for those who participate. Perhaps a breakfast, lunch, or even an ice cream social!
- Consider holding a Lunch & Learn on that day and make a presentation about the cruel mystery of lupus.
- Hold a fundraiser on May 16 to benefit the Lupus Foundation of America. If you have a Walk to End Lupus Now™ team, this is a great additional day to raise funds for your Walk team…even if your Walk has already passed.
MAKE IT PERSONAL
- Share your own “This is Why I Put on Purple” story with potential participants. If other members have a powerful story, ask them if you can share their story as well.
- Share your “voice” with the broader lupus community by visiting lupusvoices.org.
MAKE IT FUN
- Hook ’em with fun and then connect ’em to the cause. If people have fun, they will be more apt to support the cause beyond Put on Purple Day.
- Camaraderie is a powerful motivation. People like to belong to something and be a part of a large community.
- You may want to purchase purple lupus awareness wristbands at shoplupus.org or firstname.lastname@example.org as a thank you gift for everyone who participates; wristbands can be worn proudly beyond Put on Purple Day as a way to show support for the cause.