Living well with lupus

How can I keep my child’s school up to date on how lupus is affecting them?

Building a good working relationship with the school and your child's teachers is a good start. If lupus is affecting your child's academic performance, the school may be required by federal law to create a 504 plan or an Individualized Education Plan (IEP). These are formal documents used by school systems to ensure that children can succeed educationally despite the challenges of disability or disease. You can ask your school's principal if the school has an IEP coordinator or talk to your child's teacher to discuss the best options for your child.