Donate Stock & Other Appreciated Securities
Donating stock or other appreciated securities to the Lupus Foundation of America (LFA) has three important benefits for the donor.
- For most gifts, the charitable deduction is the fair market value of the securities at the time of transfer.
- The donor avoids capital gains taxes.
- The donor pays no brokerage fees or sales commissions.
It is easy to make a gift to the Lupus Foundation of America using appreciated securities.
- Notify your broker in writing that you wish to make a gift of securities to the Lupus Foundation of America.
- Instruct your broker to contact the Lupus Foundation of America by calling 202-212-6768, or emailing email@example.com for instructions on how to complete the transfer. The LFA can provide a sample letter for this purpose.
- Once your broker has notified us that the securities have been transferred, the LFA will mail a receipt to you.
- Retain this receipt for tax purposes.
Donors may claim an income tax deduction for the full market value of the securities up to a limit of 30% of adjusted gross income. You may carry any excess forward for an additional five years.
For a free brochure on donating stocks or other securities, please contact the Lupus Foundation of America Development Department at 202.349.1176 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.