Employment Opportunities & Internships
The Lupus Foundation of America is the only national force devoted to solving the mystery of lupus, one of the world’s cruelest, most unpredictable, and devastating diseases, while giving caring support to those who suffer from its brutal impact. The mission of the Foundation is to improve the quality of life for all people affected by lupus through programs of research, education and advocacy. The Foundation's national office is located in Washington, DC with regional offices in New York and Seattle and a national network of chapters, branches, support groups, local representatives, and activists across the nation.
The Lupus Foundation of America, Inc. provides equal opportunities in employment to all persons, including handicapped applicants and employees. Our policy prohibits discrimination because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, physical or mental handicap, or age. Furthermore, it shall be the policy of the Lupus Foundation of America, Inc. to make reasonable accommodations for the physical handicaps of applicants and employees throughout the personnel process.
To apply for any of the positions below, please send a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to the Senior Manager, Human Resources and Operations at HR@lupus.org or by fax: 202-349-1156. NO TELEPHONE CALLS PLEASE! Click here to jump to internship opportunities.
The Digital Communications Coordinator supports and maintains key digital communications activities for the Lupus Foundation of America, including the website(s), email marketing, social media, cross-platform analytics, and digital (search and social) advertising.
This position is an integral member of the Marketing and Communications Department, and collaborates within and across departments to fulfill organizational goals and milestones. Specifically, the Digital Communications Coordinator works to increase web traffic, email lead generation, and social media audience engagement and growth.
This individual keeps abreast of trends and implements compelling digital communications initiatives to diverse audiences. Together with the Director of Digital Communications, this individual coordinates and supports the digital presence of the Foundation’s programs, services and campaigns.
The ideal candidate will bring energy and initiative to this position, helping to identify high-impact opportunities to increase the visibility of our research initiatives, support services, and policy/advocacy work.
Roles and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Publish, edit, and update website pages (in particular lupus.org and resources.lupus.org) through the use of a CMS.
- Ensure the Foundation’s website content and online postings are accurate and up-to-date.
- Ensure quality of web pages by formatting, copyediting, proofreading, ensuring consistent style and brand voice.
- Support the execution of sponsored content placements across our web properties.
- Debug issues that arise with the performance of the website(s) including troubleshooting and coordinating with developers and hosting providers.
- Collect and review web utilization data; monitor analytics and make recommendations for improved performance.
- Serve as in-house expert on our web properties; Train content contributors on formatting and publishing to the web.
- Ensure that the Foundation’s social media channels remain responsive, innovative, collaborative and engaging.
- Stay informed on emerging online communications tools, social media trends, and best practices.
- Execute on the social media strategic plan and oversee the Foundation’s presence on all social media platforms (Including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, YouTube) by responding to comments and messages and engaging with influencers.
- Write copy and schedule social media posts.
- Create and implement strategies to increase the number of fans/followers and to increase audience engagement on social media platforms.
- Contribute to the development of thoughtful and engaging content strategy.
- As needed, evaluate efforts and advise when social channels should be retired and/or when new channels should be explored.
- Update the shared content publishing calendar.
- Coordinate, edit, build, and distribute outbound email campaigns to support Foundation programs and initiatives, including newsletters, advocacy alerts, automated/triggered messages, and event promotions.
- Create and implement lead generation strategies to increase our subscriber base.
- Support routine maintenance and cleanup of email list.
- Track and provide reports and analytics on web and conversion metrics.
- Support the evaluation of the National Resource Center on Lupus (in-bound traffic, content utilization and satisfaction) as part of required reporting on our grant from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Contribute to the preparation of regular and campaign-specific reports on website and digital communications performance to relevant staff.
- As needed, provide web and online communications advise and support to national network entities (e.g., regional offices and chapters).
- Additional duties as assigned to advance the Foundation’s mission.
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, information management, marketing, communications or related field.
- Relevant experience, preferably in the PR agency or not-for-profit industry.
- Experience and interest in health care communications and/or patient advocacy preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Experience and comfort with HTML and CSS
- Experience using content management systems and marketing databases required; knowledge of Craft, Expression Engine, Salesforce and Luminate Online preferred
- Experience in Google Analytics; working knowledge of the principles of SEO
- Experience with paid search and social advertising a plus
- Hands-on knowledge using major social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram) in a professional setting
- Experience with collaboration, productivity and project management tools such as Basecamp, Slack, Trello, Dropbox and Google Drive.
- Creative thinker with strong analytical and problem-solving capabilities
- Proven ability to work well independently and in a fast paced and team-based environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to adapt interpersonal and communication style to interact effectively with a wide variety of people
The Lupus Foundation of America, Inc., offers a very competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package which includes employer-paid medical, dental, and life insurance coverage. Flexible Spending Account options, a 403(b) plan, paid vacation, and more! If you are someone who is passionate about using his/her skills to make a difference in people’s lives, we would love to hear from you! Please submit your cover letter, including salary requirements, and resume to: HR@lupus.org with "Digital Communication Coordinator" in the subject line. No telephone calls, please.
An internship at the Lupus Foundation of America, Inc. (LFA) is a pre-arranged, structured learning experience scheduled within a specific time frame. The experience must be relevant to the intern's academic and professional goals, and to the programs and activities of the Foundation. An internship is performed under the direct supervision of a LFA staff member.
Positions are available during throughout the year, based on the projected workload of the host department. Information regarding various internship opportunities may be obtained by contacting the Foundation at HR@lupus.org. Please reference "Internship Opportunity" in your email.
- Applicants may be undergraduate or graduate students.
- Most positions are unpaid, but a small stipend may be offered for some positions.
- Full-time and part-time positions may be offered.
- All LFA interns must be at least 16 years old.
Marketing and Communications
- Copywriter Intern
- Marketing and Communications Intern
- Graphic Design Intern
- Online/Social Media Intern
Fundraising and Development
Marketing and Communications Department
The Marketing and Communications department is seeking a Copywriter Intern to join our team! Our team is responsible for writing a substantial amount of content: newsletter articles, fliers, ads, engaging social media messages, video copy, blog posts, press releases, and compelling website copy. The ideal internship candidate should have strong writing skills, be able to write with creative flare as needed, and have the ability to integrate the Lupus Foundation of America’s brand tone and voice in all communications. We are looking for someone who wants a challenge, has the passion for helping a great cause, and the drive for success.
Responsibilities will include: Researching, developing, writing, and proofreading content (newsletter articles, copywriting for awareness campaigns, etc.); generating original copy ideas which grab the attention of the Lupus Foundation of America’s target audience. Creating tagline, slogans, body copy, scripts, etc.; contributing to social media campaigns; assisting with website copy, email copy, marketing materials, press releases, and blog posts; updating brand guidelines; and assisting with metrics and tracking.
An English, Journalism, or Communications major is preferred. Must have a basic understanding of SEO and social media copywriting needs. Exceptional writing and editing skills required. Familiarity with AP Stylebook. Familiarity with submitting press releases. Highly creative, imaginative, and have superior interpersonal skills. Must be detail-oriented, have the ability to multi-task, prioritize and work independently or in a team-oriented and entrepreneurial environment. Excellent oral and written communication skills. Must be self-motivated, have the ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines. An interest in popular culture, new advertising trends and techniques is a plus! Previous intern and/or copywriting experience is preferred. A strong interest in marketing and willingness to learn. Ability to work hard and have fun!
This internship position will remain open until filled. We offer a flexible start date and work schedule. A minimum of 15 – 20 hours per week. This is an unpaid internship, college credit may be provided.
If interested and qualified, please forward a cover letter and resume to: HR@lupus.org or fax to: 202-349-1156. Please include “Copywriter Intern” in the subject line.
The Lupus Foundation of America, Inc. is seeking a Marketing and Communications Intern with an interest in the nonprofit field to assist with all aspects of communications and marketing. Support departmental staff with the development and implementation of public awareness campaigns. Based on experience level, assist with communications strategy development and program management. Draft fact sheets, press releases, and other materials. Create weekly media clip report. Assist with the development of media lists and distribution of media releases. Assist with social media planning and website support depending on applicant’s and skill and background. Other projects as assigned.
A junior, senior, or graduate student majoring in communications, marketing, or public relations is preferred. Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Publisher. Strong writing and editing skills are essential. The ideal candidate will be a self-motivated, self-starter, equipped with strong organizational and multi-tasking skills. Must have the ability to meet deadlines. Previous intern or communications experience is a plus! This is an unpaid position, however, a travel allowance and college credit may be provided. This position will remain open until filled, with a flexible start date and work schedule – minimum 10-15 hours per week.
If interested and qualified, please forward a cover letter, resume, and two writing samples to: HR@lupus.org or FAX to: 202-349-1156. Please include “Communications Intern” in the subject line. NO telephone calls, please.
The Lupus Foundation of America, Inc. is seeking a Graphic Design Intern with an interest in the nonprofit field to assist with the design of LFA materials-flyers, brochures, and advertisements.
Design LFA educational and public awareness materials, i.e. brochures, flyers, posters, and advertisements. Design materials specific to certain LFA campaigns, i.e. Walk to End Lupus Now or Lupus Awareness Month. Based on experience, may also assist with the design of LFA website. Other projects as assigned.
A junior, senior, or graduate student majoring in graphic design preferred. Familiarity with desktop publishing software-Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, or InDesign. Previous graphic design experience. A self-starter who is self-motivated and equipped with strong organizational and multi-tasking skills. Must have the ability to meet deadlines. Previous intern or graphic design experience is preferred. A minimum of 15 work hours per week is required.
This is an unpaid position, however, a travel allowance and college credit will be provided. This position will remain open until filled, with an immediate start date. If interested and qualified, please forward a cover letter, resume, and two work samples to: HR@lupus.org or FAX to: 202-349-1156. Please include “Graphic Design Intern” in the subject line. NO telephone calls, please.
The Lupus Foundation of America, Inc. is seeking an Online Social Media Intern with an interest in the nonprofit field to assist with the management of the LFA website (www.lupus.org) and social media.
Responsibilities include making regular content updates to LFA website and blog. Assist with the management of LFA online/social media including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Assist with monitoring and reporting on performance of LFA website and online advertising campaign. Other projects as assigned.
A junior, senior, or graduate student in graphic/web design preferred. Previous intern or web design experience is preferred. Familiarity with HTML, Flash, Dreamweaver, and web-based content management software. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter who is self-motivated and equipped with strong organizational and multi-tasking skills. Must have the ability to meet deadlines. Access to high-speed internet connection and computer capable of running Windows software. Flexible scheduling and start date, with the potential to work remotely. A minimum of 10-15 hours is preferred.
This position will remain open until filled. Interested and qualified candidates, please forward a cover letter and resume to: HR@lupus.org or FAX to: 202-349-1156. Please include “Online Social Media Intern” in the subject line. NO telephone calls, please.
Fundraising and Development Department
The Lupus Foundation of America is currently seeking an Intern for the Development and Fundraising department. The Walk intern will work closely with the National Walk Manager and National Walk Coordinator to provide support in order to ensure smoothly functioning and successful Walk to End Lupus Now events. The Intern will assist in the growth development of the Walk to End Lupus Now program by working with media in select markets to promote the Lupus Foundation of America Walk; distributing Press Releases, Media Alerts, and PSA’s to local radio and television stations; creating and posting Walk information on media’s Calendar Listings; conducting research of prospects for sponsorship and participation; and assisting the Development Team with other assignments as needed.
A Bachelor or Master’s degree, or currently enrolled in a degree program, with a major in Marketing, Communications, or related field. Strong demonstrated interest in nonprofits and health organizations. Excellent research, oral, and written communication skills. Superior planning and organizational skills. Candidate must be self-motivated, detail oriented, and have the ability to work independently. Computer literacy with proficiency in Microsoft Office is required.
This is an unpaid internship, offering a dynamic work environment, for applicants interested in events, fundraising, and media. The internship is available during the spring and/or summer and a minimum of 15 work hours is required.
If interested and qualified candidates, please forward a cover letter, resume, and include "Development/Walk Intern (National Office)" in the subject line to: HR@lupus.org or FAX to: 202-349-1156. NO telephone calls, please. Principals only. AA/EOE.
The Lupus Foundation of America, Inc. (National Office) is seeking a Corporate Development Intern to work closely with the Vice President of Development and Fundraising.
The Corporate Development Intern will assist in the growth of corporate development to conduct research for the development of Corporate Prospect Lists – Corporate Partnerships, and Corporate Donation opportunities. Assist in developing the Lupus Foundation of America inventory – benefits packages. Other duties related to corporate development as assigned.
A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or currently enrolled in a degree program. Strong demonstrated interest in nonprofits and health organizations. Excellent research, oral, and written communication skills. Attention to detail with excellent planning and organizational skills. Candidate will be self-motivated with the ability to work independently. Computer literacy with proficiency in Microsoft Office.
Interested and qualified candidates, please forward a cover letter and resume to: HR@lupus.org (please include “Corporate Development Intern” in the subject line) or FAX to: 202-349-1156. NO telephone calls, please.